Friday 8 January 2010

Acroynms

I remembered a conversation I had a long time ago with a good friend of mine on her usage of acronyms. When I first knew her, she loved calling places short form. I first found out about this habit of her's when I first heard her talking about SP. After awhile I asked her, where is SP? and she told me, "Sunway Pyramid". I was like, "oh, I see".

That wasn't the end of it. We had JJ (which meant Jaya Jusco), and MV (which meant Mid Valley), we had friends name cut short to RX (for RuXuan) and GC (for Geok Cheng) and if that wasn't enough, we had all our subjects becoming alphabets like, MB (for Molecular Biology), GB (for genomic and bioinformatics), the list goes on. Its not like I'm complaining, its sometimes quite convenient to use acronyms.

But then I found out she tried to cut short a name of a shopping complex that already have been shorten. I'm talking about One Utama, which in short is called 1u.Anyway, back to my story, one fine day, she was talking to me and she mentioned about this place called OU. As soon as she mentioned it I searched my mind for a place called OU in Kuala Lumpur and guess what? I couldn't recall any until finally I thought, "omg, OU means One Utama!"

I rolled my eyes, and asked her, "why do you have to call 1u OU?" She said, "well, its shorter that way. Save speech time". I told her, "Isn't 1u short enough?" She said, "nope, OU has only 2 alphabets". I said, "what's the difference? 1u has 1 number and 1 alphabet, and plus, its 2 syllabus, same as OU". She said, "oh.. yea.." and laughs.

Why am I telling this old story? Well, because today at work, I overheard a conversation among 2 colleagues. One said, " I'm asked to go to KLCC or Pavillion but I don't know how." The other said, "Pavillion is quite near KLCC". And the first one said, " I'm not familiar with that area. I only know how to get to Mid Valley, Sunway Pyramid, The Curve and OU".

What the... And I thought only my dear dear friend would have that sense of humour!

No comments:

Post a Comment